Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Dear Amelia ,









I am a failing set of wings, a broken beaten down child. When I reach out to touch the sky, nothing happens; I end up grasping nothing but a breath of air. I am worn out and torn; they made me feel this way.

But I have no excuse, I am still alive, I have my limbs and my health. I am conscious and can speak as well as hear. I can understand and concentrate.

I am. Perfect.

You, gorgeous...

You are strong and steady. You hold your head up high, and you most of all are all I aspire to be, but you cannot see.
You cannot hear.
You cannot understand.
You who are differently able’d, I do no pity you. I admire you, for through it all you have made yourself stand out.

Through your broken limbs, you have stood tall. Through your weak ears, you have heard my silence. Through your dark eyes, you have seen the brighter side and through your lack of speech you have told me all I need to know.

You are beautiful, don’t let anybody take that away from you. You are freedom, you are joy... you are in control of your life.

I look at myself and wonder, blessed with everything, have I done enough? And I see you, with much less than what I have, struggling but with a smile and I think... No, no I haven’t.

I am ashamed of myself, for I am not as talented or wonderful as you, young girl. You are a baby compared to me but you are much more worthy of life.

You are what everyone should strive to be.


I remember you that day, silent but happy... the joy in your eyes seeing the animals around you. For once you felt it was your turn to take care of something and you felt special.

The thing I failed to tell you, is that you never needed those moments to feel special, child. You were and always will be...

You are the most special thing to ever happen to me because you changed my life. You showed me what living was about... you made me realise the value of helping others. You taught me not to be selfish , without even knowing it.

You taught me that you don’t need to be a preacher, a doctor, a healer, to change people’s lives. You just need to show them the right way to live.

Amelia ,

Thank You.

Thank you for teaching me the value of life, the art of selflessness and the beauty in tiny acts of love.

One day, you will be able to see with your own ears, hear through your ears and comprehend the magnitude of the affect you have on people.

One day, Amelia , the world will be yours.

2 comments :

  1. A very interesting piece, paints a beautifully tragic picture.

    Your last few posts have been very deep, emotional, personal, it makes me wonder just how complicated you might be. I tend not to comment, don't see me as an audience of any kind, but a background sound that cannot be heard amongst common voices.

    Don't stop writing xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is d most beautiful thing ive read thats come frm u :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note :)